Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Wally World

I don't surf the Web as my news source but sometimes you run across a story that sparks something and makes you want to shout. Take for example the 100 year-old Walmart greeter who questioned a 37 year-old female shopper on a water bottle purchase and was pushed, causing her to injure her head in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

The customer is always right has gone too far; it encourages customers to believe they can bully into getting their own way. I've spoken my views on violence and can't understand where people get their motivation. One thing rings true; the younger generation is angry and they have not been taught to respect their elders.

What's at the core is a belief is that elders are not valuable, and should not work. With a focus on the youth culture, most elders are patronized, mistreated. They are not honored, and we have no modern rituals to bless their role.

Elders incarnate wisdom, which they happily share, in the form of stories. This wisdom can be our saving grace. Elders are helpful in providing perspective on the long-term consequences of any decision. No longer having the strength and energy for battle, they are able to see what is really important. Serving as peacemakers, they put forth solutions in which individual self-interest is better served through cooperation, promoting the best for all concerned.

This centenarian works five days a week, is self-supporting and needs her income. She plans on putting the incident behind her and return to work. Kudos for her courage. And I applaud Walmart for hiring her ten years ago.

Growing up one of my father's nicknames for me was “the Judge.” I'm going to take on that role for the sake of this post; I know nothing of the assailant; but if I were hearing this case; this is what I would enforce on the perpetrator: Jail time on assault and battery charges to learn to treat people differently. Community service in a nursing care facility to remind her that she too will age. And, last, a fine, attacking another over a purchase clearly indicates she doesn't know the value of money, a hit in the wallet will remind her of it's purpose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment