Monday, December 13, 2010

Home to Vincent


I've never met a vegetable I didn't befriend, although I had to work at peas and lima beans but eventually chummed up to them. I like my vegies fresh and in season for optimum flavor. One thing about living and visiting different regions is your palate gets exposed to a novelty of tastes. A green that is currently available in your supermarket is Kale. I came by way of it during a trip to Amsterdam as a student, a time when I hardly ate, much less cooked. Although the Dutch use Kale in several ways integrating potatoes as a winter staple, I visited before the cold struck and got a simpler version of it. How I recall sitting in that homespun cafe, where staff brought their dogs to work. What impressed me about the country was how unpretentious the Dutch were. Years later, I made Kale adding lemon to brighten its flavor and enjoy it as a salad.

1 bunch raw Tuscan kale (sweeter than regular Kale)
2 slices country bread, or two handfuls of good, homemade coarse breadcrumbs
1/2 garlic clove
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup (or small handful) grated pecorino cheese, plus additional for garnish
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for garnish
Freshly squeezed juice of one lemon (1/4 cup)
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Freshly ground black pepper to taste



Trim the bottom few inches off the kale stems and discard. Massage a little with your hands to tenderize and slice into 3/4-inch ribbons. Place the kale in a large bowl.
Take bread and toast until golden brown on both sides and dry throughout. Tear into small pieces and pulse in a food processor until the mixture forms coarse crumbs, or to the texture of your liking.
Using a mortar and pestle, pound the garlic and 1/4 teaspoon of salt into a paste. Transfer the garlic to a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup cheese, 3 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, pinch of salt, pepper flakes, and black pepper and whisk to combine. Pour the dressing over the kale and toss very well (the dressing will be thick and need lots of tossing to coat the leaves). Let the salad sit for 5 minutes, then serve topped with the bread crumbs, adding a little more cheese, and a drizzle of oil. Can keep in the fridge and tastes even better the next day.





2 comments:

  1. I wish I was better at eating vegetables. Cabbage and celery salad with tomato is my limit.
    Broccoli in a stir fry I can manage at a push.
    Tinned processed peas (they're an English thing) are okay.
    What is Kosher salt? How does it differ from the excellent natural salts that are available in the UK.
    That's a great painting of the cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah...Amstrdam. I remember it well. I was there in 91 and 94, both on photography assignments for catalogues. I stayed at a small hotel along th canals, about 1/2 mile north of the palace. While shooting 8x10 film photos of the canals at night, I was approached by two young men, who insisted on me giving them my camera equipment. I was amazed how polite they were at first. It didn't dawn on me that I was being robbed. Unfortunately, they both fell into the canal. Opps! I had a Kale dish while there in the hotel restaurant. It reminded me of a Scottish stew with veggies. I really enjoyed it. Now I must try this recipe and see if anyone tries to steal any more cameras...

    ReplyDelete