Sunday, July 31, 2011

Mildred Pierce HBO



In early spring I saw Mildred Pierce HBO, the series, and no, it was not the best movie I’ve seen on HBO. I didn't think it was engaging but I watched expecting that I would enjoy it. One of the things I respect about HBO is that they don't sugarcoat period pieces. Bad things happen, people are disappointed and love matters.

But, that’s not my point.

As I was watched the five part mini-series and compared it to the Hollywood classic — a movie that is both a melodrama and film noir, with Joan Crawford and Ann Blyth, at the very peak of their considerable talents, I was struck by the fact that the new version looked so different from the original. Although each scene looked like it was from that era; the lighting was dark and flat; however, I preferred the black and white version that was more vibrant and glossy. 
 
The thing is that the HBO version did not have a portrayal of an interesting character at its center, Kate Winslet gave an earthy performance, whereas Joan Crawford was more angry and insecure, which brings me back to something I often say in class– the best stories are character-driven. Yes, I loved the details about the costumes, and interiors, but the reason I prefer the original Mildred Pierce is that I believed Joan Crawford's portrayal of the character. I think that writers in general, and dramatic writers in particular, often fall into the trap of thinking that if they get the details right, the story will fall into place. But I think that’s wrong. You need to start with a convincing character. 
 
A strong character is what your audience will remember most. In my next blog post I'll deconstruct another aspect of writing, so stay tuned. 
http://www.hbo.com/mildred-pierce/index.html 

1 comment:

  1. Not having seen the Joan (creepy) Crawford version I can't compare. I have just started to watch the series after recording it earlier. The wonders of the digital age. Kate Winslet is expectedly polished with not too much of a forced American dialect.
    But your point about Black and White pictures is very valid. Imagine Casablanca in colour, no not for me. Even the old Tarzan films would not be the same if changed into colour.
    Some years back in the UK before colour TV the BBC showed snooker in black and white. The programme was one of the most popular on TV.
    Being in Black and White made your imagination come to life. Black and White definitely, for me, increases the melodrama.
    Wednesday is Bette Davies day on TCM.

    ReplyDelete