Thursday, December 29, 2011

For Auld Lang Syne


This morning with little remaining of the year Good Morning America did a montage re-cap of 2011. As I watched I reflected on where I was when these major events took place. Like many of you I watched from my television set as Japan crumbled from an earthquake and tsunami.  While driving in the car, I listened to the BBC as I heard about Europe’s economic crisis. And sitting in a cafĂ© I picked up a newspaper to read about the Middle East dictators being captured, imploded and dropping like ashes. 

As I take stock of my year I think of where we are headed as a nation.  Our economy continues to be in shambles, and so much of our news is wracked with strife, that it’s easy to forget the good that comes our way.  To end the year our troops came home from Iraq and Afghanistan after almost a decade. And although we may never regain the trillions of dollars spent (at least not in my lifetime) the war that was based on poor reasoning is over.  Now we can turn our full attention to pursuing long-term strategic plans for the U.S. to build or should I say re-build our future. There will be no more casualties of the brave servicemen and women who fought abroad and I hail that as our biggest victory of 2011.  Ring out the old, ring in the new. Have a happy and safe new year.

1 comment:

  1. Linda,

    As you know, I am usually in agreement with everything you state on your blog, but, as nice as it is to think our servicemen and women will no longer face battle with a foreign enemy, I can only hope you are right. My instinct fear otherwise.

    Let us look to 2012 as a new beginning and hope that those who would destroy our way of life are somehow reset on a more productive course of action to generate the peace on earth we are all seeking, but not at the price of our personal freedoms.

    Happy New Year.
    Roberta

    ReplyDelete