Sunday, January 22, 2012

Lost Translation



Language can be tough to master. Today I found a list of English words that Russian multilingual novelist Nabokov (the author of Lolita en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolita) reportedly found difficult to pronounce. He used diacritical marks to help him remember which syllable to stress.

In high school, I learned French from a native speaker.  In college, I had two French professors; one spoke with a British accent, another was Belgian who tried to sound American.  I suppose it reflected where they had done their graduate studies. All this made for an entertaining mix of regional dialects with foreign accents. So when I moved to Europe, I was never entirely sure how to pronounce certain words, words I came across mostly by listening to Radio France International and Canal Plus. Then there were the baffling exceptions, words which didn’t sound at all the way they were pronounced. But eventually, my ear grew accustomed to the nasal sounds of Paris French. Then I arrived in New York and went to film screenings at the French Institute Alliance Française http://www.fiaf.org.  After the movie a discussion would take place in French.  And intoned by a native New Yorker they had such a hard edge to them. I dared not speak! I never compiled a list —but now know had I implemented the Nabokov method I would have comprehended more and been less lost.  

What about you? Ever learned another language and been utterly confused ?

No comments:

Post a Comment