Saturday, December 29, 2012

Sick or in Crisis? Take Vitamin L-O-V-E





In my class when I cover the topics of Climax or Crisis as the turning point of the story, I suggest that my students write in an emotional way.   As an exercise, I recommend that they write about a pet, in particular, or the loss of one as a pivotal point in a life.  And rather than classify and list all the emotions that they may have felt, that they give the reader a reason to feel the emotions they want to express.


It always ends up in tears, because the depth of the relationship is often unexplainable. Pets are missed so much because they not only give a purpose but they help us heal.


Most recently in bed with a stomach flu and many times I’ve wondered if in my darkest hours I would have had my dog Coco, would I have felt so bad?  I don’t think so! Coco would have magically developed the ability to make me happy with one of her off-beat quirks.  Actually, all she really does is sit there and cock her head looking adorable and sometimes nudge me with her nose, or show me a toy between her teeth to get me to chase her, or roll onto her back for tummy rubs, for she never misses a minute of my affection. Pondering, I’ve asked her, “What do you— my Precious do for me?” 


It turns out she does quite a lot just by being there.  Studies repeatedly show that pets, especially dogs and cats, are a boom to our well-being for the ways they reduce stress, build immunity, and help us lead healthier lifestyles. Though the pet-owner relationship may seem to go only one way, our pets actually do a lot to care for us, too. 


I was reading recently about a study that focused on the role of chemistry in the relationship, showing that when we interact with our pets, our central nervous system releases hormones that create a sense of well-being.  Oxytocin, the bonding hormone that calms us and gives us feelings of warmth comes into play whenever we share physical contact with an animal. The hormone helps to lower our stress levels, wards off stress-related illnesses, and generally improves our mood.


If your dog is as active as mine, chances are you’re walking him or her at least twice a day, getting exercise.  And if you take your dog to a doggie park, you’re more likely to socialize with other dog owners, another stress reducer. 


When most people consider adopting pets, they think about how much care, time and expense animals require.  At least they should. I know I did for a very long time and then I convinced myself that as a free agent a dog would hamper my style.  So untrue! Although it is a labor of love to buy them necessities, including toys to stimulate their minds, good kibble, having them groomed, bathing them, cleaning up after them, walking them, getting them their shots and taking them to the vet.  The list doesn’t end there.  So why do it all? Because our pets care for us, too, and they improve the quality of our lives. Their presence gives us the ability to love and lead a healthier, happier life— thanks to our loyal furry friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment