Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Chime In

I often think I was born at the wrong time; the world I knew when I was growing -up is vastly different than today. I don't like to dwell on the idea that civilization is in decline. Instead, I try to follow German philosopher Schiller's advice that you must embrace your own times, yet not let them consume you. Reading about previous eras is important for thinking men and women; wallowing in nostalgia for the past is destructive to a life lived. But the challenging contrasts between former and current communication modes and what I find to be comfortable versus impersonal cross my mind as I witness the ever-changing shift.

Every-time I get an email versus what I believe should be a telephone call; such as announcing a death, I wonder where is the sensitivity? Email can be salty and misconstrued. Am I the only relic who appreciates listening to the sounds, pauses, laughter or sorrowful tone of the human voice? As cold as email can be, I prefer it over a text, where you can have a genuine salutation, a personal message and a friendly close.

By now you've probably guessed that I'm not fond of texting. Having won a spelling bee in Mr. Marshall's class against my fellow classmates and the other competing sixth grade class I felt like a champ, his encouragement and my victory solidified the idea that I wanted to write. Writing choppy little abbreviated sentences makes me inclined to believe that if spelling folds it's a matter of time before literacy vanishes.

During my teenage years, I distinctly recall my Mother begging, pleading and ultimately commanding me to get off the phone. Of course back then we only had land lines, there were no cell phones and no Internet. The telephone and hand written letters and maybe smoke signals were about the only way to communicate. Maybe I got tapped out on talking so much because now when I see others on their cell in social circles, in a public restroom or even at the dinner table; I keep wondering what could be so important?

When I'm asked about social media, I cringe, because I dislike superficial empty blurbs. To me, a blog is a creative thoughtful medium where one can convey more meaningful meditations. I've taught myself how to do it to maximize results so that I am currently teaching my second class of bloggers.

I am a reflection of a dinosaur, getting my start in newspapers, I have an affinity with them. They gave me a global perspective on issues and many of today's online sites don't have the same level of serious or professional content.

Books make me feel the greatest sense of loss, I loved carting around an injection of intellectual stimulation in the printed form. I know that a new e-reader will be many times more efficient, giving me instant access to books that pique my fancy, letting me sample chapters before I decide to buy, giving me dictionary and encyclopedia access to words or passages I come across, even read back to me when I am too tired to exert my eyes. But will it give me companionship with the masters, where by sitting quietly and touching those old tomes, I would connect with the spirits of the great writers who contributed so much to the literary canon, and who inspired me to follow my life path?



I wonder am I in the dark ages? I've been able to handle the new methods of communication in small doses. Who knows how communication tools and practices will evolve in the coming years. But evolve they will, and one thing is certain, adapt or you won’t survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment