Thursday, July 22, 2010

Channeling Laura Petrie


Ironic that my professional experience includes a work period in television production since tube viewing for the most part has never been a priority in my life, with the exception of my childhood, where like many kids I would sit cross-legged on the rug in front of the screen and watch for hours. I preferred watching old classics made before my time; from the Golden Age of Hollywood, which included a combination of drama, comedy and mystery such as Shirley Temple, Charlie Chan, Sherlock Holmes, Blondie, the Kettles, Henry Aldrich, The Little Rascals, the Three Stooges and I Love Lucy.

I went years without watching television when I lived abroad and later when I did not own a television set never did I feel I was missing out, then one day I had a revelation; writing is solitary and since I could go all day without moving a muscle in my mouth, it also meant I didn't laugh, a little television was a dose of laughter, so I used it to my advantage. That's about the time reality shows came on the scene, I thought they were a fad; how could anybody watch something repetitive, sensationalized, demeaning, unscripted and without professional actors?

As a selective viewer, I'm a fan of PBS, such as This Old House, History Detectives and think American Experience is pretty cool, and has exceptional merit as a series.  I’m currently an avid viewer of The Good Wife, and The Mentalist.

I've been disappointed when shows I've made an effort to watch weekly have been canceled such as Pushing Daisies, that blended fantasy, surrealism with aesthetic. It's wonderful narration gave the show an additional layer; intelligence, in particular for a network show. I also loved the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency shot in Botswana, taken from a novel, and adapted for television, its finest attributes were its brilliant acting and music. A current favorite also on HBO, is AMC's Mad Men, it returns this Sunday with season four: it shines blending historical authenticity and visual style, depicting the changing and provocative American social mores of 1960's, very unique, indeed.

I can't wait to see how the big wigs from Sterling Cooper after learning their agency was being sold to a rival agency pooled their talents together and how they will fare at their own agency. Will they continue to drink gin and tonics on the job? Have cigarettes for breakfast? Will their still be the cool cats and the squares? Will Betty marry Henry?

For all of these answers and more, I'm staying tuned, garbed in slim pants, ballet flats, a fitted shirt, accessorized with a gold charm bracelet and of course I'll be color-coordinated.

No comments:

Post a Comment