Wednesday, January 19, 2011

So Happy Together


Sometimes now she'll take me out of the closet and look at me for a minute, I'm high-quality, a sheath silhouette, embellished with ruching to one side and made of burgundy taffeta. She drove all over town searching for a vintage brooch to highlight my simplicity, yet nowadays I never even make it off the hanger! I'm not exactly meant for picnics or being rowed about in a boat or a stroll through the park, am I? I mean, I'm never going to have a puppy in my lap, that's for sure. I understand, I do, but it gets a bit lonely, and when you've only been worn twice, you don't have a lot to fall back on.

From time to time unexpected things happen at parties– there was the time that the husband decided he didn't want to wear a sports-coat, for one. (I always wondered what the other suits thought about that, but of course we hardly talk to them, even when we share a closet. They're so uncommunicative). She wasn't going to let that happen, she wanted to dress-up and he needed to go along.

They went to Howard and Ellen's Holiday party, when Ellen brought out that flaming dessert and the dangling ball fringe on her party apron went right up, just whoosh! Howard had to squirt her with the soda siphon. Luckily her dress was okay, it was a bright green polished cotton. I don't think cottons make very good party dresses, but maybe that's why Ellen went all-out with such a fancy hostess apron. Later that night, she walked in on Phil and Amelia in the spare bedroom. I thought they were dancing, but it seemed odd for them to dance so far from the music. Amelia's dress was all askew, too. It wasn't hanging right at all. 

After that party, on the way home, retelling the event, she laughed so hard I thought she was going to split my zipper. He was at the wheel, holding her left hand, they talk about everyone they just saw, “Jeff's not doing well, not doing well at all. Putting on a brave front, though, for Georgina's sake.”

Sometimes they're quiet, and then I know they're tired, or that they had too many drinks in those little fat glasses.

When they walk in the door, her patent leather Louboutin slingbacks come right off, and her ivory cashmere coat goes over the nearest chair. Her marcasite clip earrings and bracelet land next to her bag on the table in the hall, right by the mail. Sometimes they yawn at the same time, and that makes them both laugh.

I could feel how tired she was as she climbed the stairs. She fussed with my zipper, places me on a padded hanger, and heads downstairs in a silk kimono.  Sometimes he makes her a cup of cocoa, they sit on the sofa, talk a little, but usually she just helps him lock up and turn out the lights. She always hangs me right up, which is nice. It's not comfortable to spend all night on the chair, especially after a party. I hope if I go to San Francisco her sister-in-law hangs up her dresses right away, too.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful story. Now I understand that the voices I hear coming from my closet in the dead of night are from my long forgotten suits. They can be so stuffy! Too bad only I can hear them. Otherwise I wouldn't have to keep taking that darned medicine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was confused at first to who was telling the story. Then my brain kicked in. I thought about some more unfortunate articles of clothing locked away most of there lives.
    The lowly sock came to me in a flash.
    He or maybe a she is hidden in he sock draw. Sometimes not next with his their partner, wondering what the day held for them. Stuffed in shoe all day beginning to smell of cheese. What tales could they tell.........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute. And it was clever for you to use a photo without your head attached. After all, this is the dress's own story. Ultimately, I would say: this is a sheath that really wears well.

    ReplyDelete