Sunday, March 20, 2011

I'm expensive but worth it


Pull up a chair; I'm here for you. Don't be shy because you find yourself turning to me for a writing consultation. Many other souls–lost, confused, or indecisive– have made the very same pilgrimage. But before you submit your writing, be forewarned there’s a hitch in my mode of problem solving. 


First off, while I have had my share of writing experiences, rejections, let downs, highs, and acknowledgments, I know my strengths. If you stick to fiction, short stories, plays, screenplays, memoirs, ghost writing, social media writing, letters, spirituality book edits, non-fiction, business writing, sales letters, press releases, media alerts, proposals, grant writing, it'll be smooth sailing.

But if instead, you looking for me to skim your piece of writing and eye-ball it, and give a one or two blurb or superficial comment on what I thought–sorry but I do not work that way. I can't do anything half way, it offends my sensibilities and the love of what I do. I'd suggest you do a Google search to temporarily bandage your writing woe instead. (I could go on, but am trying to limit this to 350 words.)

Now, as to the forewarning I hinted at: If you turn to me for a writing consultation, analysis, critique, developmental edit, or writing assignment, do not expect that my work comes gratis. Who works for free? Time is money and my time is valuable. I teach writing and I'm not cheap. While you may think your writing issue will be resolved with me giving you a few minutes of my time, think again.

I, on the other hand, am a perfectionist and take my fifteen years of paid experience seriously. And it will not end there. My job is thorough and I may have to press on, refuse to dislodge even when you plead, "That's fine, that's all I needed to know." Well, maybe that's fine for you, but I have to get to the root of the problem and fix it. And I will, to make sure your work like mine, shines.

2 comments:

  1. I have had the experience of having some of my writing critiqued by this teacher, and have sat through numerous classes and tutorings from her. First, I must point out that the photo at the top of the post is NOT this instructor. The real person is a woman, and doesn't have a beard, although I am not sure about smoking cigars.
    I was most impressed by the talent and expertise that this instructor brings to the table, providing honest and professional evaluation of what ever work you bring to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You want the best you have to pay for it.
    I've been fortunate to attend this bloggers teachings. very enthusiastic and knowledge of her subject.
    A very dedicated writer and expects the same from you. I've learnt I need more dedication with my writing ambitions.

    ReplyDelete