Monday, February 27, 2012

When I'm 84


Last night, the 84th Academy Awards http://www.imdb.com/ were easier on the eyes and ears than last year’s debacle. Billy Crystal had a few good moments, such as when he said, “Nothing eases the world's economic woes like watching millionaires give each other gold statues!”

Although my movie picks didn’t make it, there were few surprises. 
I was pleased for Woody Allen’s Midnight in Paris winning for Best Original Screenplay but disappointed with his no-show. I wanted War Horse to win for Best Soundtrack but it didn’t win anything. I was glad to watch as Christopher Plummer (whom I associate as Captain Von Trapp in The Sound of Music) gave the classiest speech.  Octavia Spencer looked terrific but was a bundle of nerves and unprepared. Meryl Streep desperately needs a stylist, but acknowledging her husband as she did, I overlooked her matchy-matchy look because her words brought tears to my eyes (unlike Michel Hazanavicius who didn’t mention his wife Bérénice Bejo on receiving his Directorial award) and because she is talented and likable, I have no doubt that she will be up there again.   

Maybe next year I’ll be more in sync, but in any event I’ll have my opinions. What were yours? 

No comments:

Post a Comment