Sunday, April 29, 2012

Rousing tails

For those who have been reading my blog regularly you may recall in June 2010 when I wrote Dog Days of Summer http://lindalaroche.com/blog/dog-days-of-summer


The blog post was about finding a dog, that I called Lucky and whose name was Einstein. Last Saturday when Coco and my husband returned from their afternoon walk they went straight to the backyard where Steven called out, “Look, Coco has a playmate.” Steven found a dog walking on our street and was convinced that he was a stray but I recognized Lucky Einstein in a heartbeat. He still had his quiet dignity despite that he seemed worn down, thinner and shaved for the summer but his eyes were talking to me.  He let Coco chase him because she's adventurous with a swelling surging zest for play. She let out joyful barks and because she likes other animals so much, she shared her toys, her parents and her treats but when it came to food—that's another story altogether. He went along with her play until he hid among the trees, and I sensed he was tired and it was time to go home.


I carried him so we could have time together. When the girl of the house answered the door she told me he's been sick and they’re going to have him put down this week. I knew this was no ordinary stroll that Coco and Steven had taken but Lucky Einstein's insight is still at work and it was his way to say good-bye.


This was more than an account of my meeting a dog, Lucky Einstein gave me life; preparing me for the moment of closure when, at last, it completes its predestined progression to full circle. The end of one life and the start of a new one. I shall miss you and won't ever forget you, Lucky Einstein, my dear sweet little friend!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment