Thursday, March 14, 2013

Right as Rain




I can’t decide whether it’s more narcissistic or more fair-mindedly self-critical to compare oneself to novel characters, but I do it all the time, and I increasingly reflect on if I should post my opinion on some subject or not.  The last book I read was finally something I wanted to devour (the last 5 or so were mediocre at best) although I couldn’t identify with the characters, I felt empathy for their struggle.

So rather than read the Ford Madox Ford's Edwardian-period novel, Parade’s End, I’ve decided to tune into the HBO mini-series.  It hadn’t held my interest but with my stick-to-it attitude, after last night’s episode 3 (there are 5 total) I thought—finally, the carriage ride ends and I see the venture into heart and humanity, as the perennial brew or storyline unfolds.   

The complex protagonist, Christopher Tietjens, is thoughtful, pensive, resigned, and romantic.  His outrageous wife, Sylvia, on the other hand is courageously shrewish, and one of the most manipulative female characters ever constructed.  Tietjens is in love with Valentine Wannop, a young suffragette.  The three live in a haphazard, combative, flashes of danger, glimmers of beauty world.  It's the world seen through Tietjens's eyes — its losses, occasional gains, romance, and, ultimately, the seismic shifts that occurred in Britain during 1914-1916.  The war is there and obviously so are the diminishing class distinctions.  But it's not a story per se about the war, or like Downton Abbey, the social classes. 

There is an almost anthropological consideration of varied social classes and types of life living in fear of the international sea change, which occurred in 1914. It's an encyclopedic look at British life at its most pivotal point in the newly-dawned twentieth century. There is no shortage of romance, wit, and a staggering amount of conscious thought. And this is where things get interesting. Consciousness, interiority, and psychological insight were such prevalent concepts and means of character illustration in the twentieth century. Christopher Tietjens is a greatest example of that; of honor, self-awareness and consciousness. The story is heavy on impression and full of little fleeting moments. The impressions, mainly coming from the characters, wash over you like a subtle mist of rain rather than declare their intentions.

So with that, reader, I ask, do you ever find yourself identifying with novel and/or film characters?

No comments:

Post a Comment