Sunday, May 5, 2013

Stand my Ground



Today my Blog is four years old, older than my doggie, so with that in mind I’m writing about her.

Yesterday I was in my kitchen baking Linzer Torte with the windows open when I heard kids outside yell out, “That’s Coco’s house.”  Soon the door was pounding.  Bubbling behind the door, you’d think it was the Kaiser’s birthday party.  They had balloons and chocolate leaf cookies and wanted to play with her.  I peered in disapproval at the chocolate but told them she could go out later, when I would be ready to supervise.  The children have always been generous in dispensing gifts to her. Although she spends her time running back and forth as they do, and barks acting as a referee to any injustice, not only do they continue to dot on her but they love her.   

Very few know of Coco’s story.  It reads like a version of Little Match Girl, a short-story by Hans Christian Andersen. Cold and hungry, and left to die alone in a foreclosed home her barks saved her.  She was taken to Lied Animal Shelter, where she most likely questioned the meaning of life and of play.  

There in November 2011, dehydrated at a mere ten pounds, I spotted her.  When I reached in to pet her she immediately licked my hand.  Staring, shining, scintillating… I thought who is that skinny doggie and where did she come from? Was she the darling of some Las Vegas stage performer?

In shades of gray and tan with a black chevron down her back, she’s half-Miniature Schnauzer and Yorkie, what’s called a Schnorkie but looks like a little lamb. Here I thought is my puppy and mistook the thoughtful look of Coco’s enormous pretty brown eyes and long eyelashes for tranquility.

Once out of the shelter, Coco began to make her presence known.  She was energetic, fiery and spunky.  Not anxious or suspicious of either people or animals, she adores new experiences.  As an intelligent, courageous creature; she is the friendliest canine at the doggie park.  At home, she has a hearty appetite, and is subtle and unsubtle, loudly indignant and softly stubborn, sly, sweet, resourceful and interesting all the way. 

As for words... Coco is natural-born linguist. It's enough to talk to her because she understands and will do what I ask. She shows her uniqueness and originality and rarely does anything by rote. On occasions when she demonstrates her ardent temperament she then cocks her head and I see wings and halos circle her head.

Now at a healthy lean twenty pounds, she is a fierce protector of home and hearth, a thoroughly engaging personality, and brings love, friendship, and zest for life to our household, the neighborhood and to everyone she meets. 

Because of her determination to correct any wrongdoing, I tell my husband if she were human she’d be true to her sun sign and be an activist.  She’s also clairvoyant. Meanwhile I’m on a hunt to find her a collar with peace sign logos. 

This is her theme song: 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment