Sunday, February 20, 2011

Ix Chel

In early June 2004 while in Cancun, we left the beach rental one morning and headed to the pool. Nearby was a well-dressed woman setting up her fathers' wares on a small table. She proudly said he was an artist; a former silversmith, and was currently designing jewelry, one-of-a-kind pieces. What caught my eye was a necklace in a deep purple, a color I swoon over. Opaque and set in a dramatically different design, elongated, it seemed like sharp teeth, or an Indian motif, and got me thinking of a symbol of an ancient Mayan god. I held the weighty piece in my hand for a moment before gently placing it down.

My husband saw how fascinated I was by the necklace and later bought it without my knowledge. I have since called it, my Mayan Goddess necklace.  

As a side trip we went to Isla Mujeres, (http://wikitravel.org/en/Isla_Mujeres) a small island devoted to the ancient fertility goddess, Ix Chel. Paintings of her are displayed with the glyph of a moon on her heart and a moon of deep purple behind her. She's portrayed as a woman who, when faced with adversity, took charge of her own life and turned it around.

Later, based on my curiosity and the questions and compliments I would receive, I researched to find out about the gem.

A mineralogist, Dr. Ken-Ichi Sugi, discovered sugilite, in 1944 on the Iwagi Islet in Japan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan).  Because of the lithium and magnesium within the deposits, it can give the gem interesting black spots on their surface. Sugilite is also known under the trade names of "Royal Lavulite" and "Royal Azel".

A rare and breathtakingly modern discovery, sugilite beads are said to have mystical properties. They are quite expensive, but considering how rare and mysterious they are, they are a bargain for something so exclusive.

Later that summer while staying at the Hyatt Regency in San Diego, (http://www.missionbay.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp) we checked out and I left my Mayan Goddess necklace behind. I called the Hotel and remembered Ix Chel's saving grace. The following day the Hotel Manager reported that the cleaning woman had found it under a chair. They mailed it back at their expense. In a gesture of appreciation for the integrity and generosity they demonstrated, I reciprocated with a box of chocolates.

1 comment:

  1. Ix Chel led a very entwined life of Love. Said to have the Sun as a lover only to cheat on him with the Morning Star his brother.
    Wouldn't it be exciting to live in a Mythological world

    ReplyDelete