Tuesday, February 8, 2011

No two ways about it

In my classes I was recently asked two questions, “When did you know you were a writer?” And, “Is that all you do, write?” They are identity questions, self-worth questions, personal freedom and fulfillment questions, a nascent creative soul’s penetrating questions. And loaded into the questions seem to be an underlining ground-zero that tethers the asker to a primary sense of identity — something presumably more real, more acceptable, more common, much more stable. To be a loan officer, you apply for the job and show up every day for work; to be a writer, you have to know – via, perhaps, some mystical experience – that you’re a writer.

You are a writer when you are writing. I know it sounds simplistic, yet it is true. Do not roll your eyes, reader, as if I’ve heard that one before. As we evolve in our work lives, piecing together various kinds of work to earn money, step-by-tiny-step nudging out the non-writing stuff and making the writing central (or at least that which is writing-related), I find it to be even more starkly true: I am not a writer when I am editing or critiquing someone else’s work, or composing social media articles. I am not a writer when I am grazing on wine and cheese at a fashionable literary event. I am not a writer when I am teaching, i.e. talking about craft and helping others with theirs. I am not a writer when I am tweeting other writers or keeping up on my self-promotion, or reading literary blogs. I am not a writer when I am on a search for a new book to read or when I am drinking coffee in Starbucks leafing the New York Times.

I know I am a writer when I am writing. When I am working with words, when I am making ideas and characters come to life with language. When I am laying out the pages on the desk and taking my blue sharpie to chunks of text that I know don’t work in the story, when I am lose myself and forget basics like the hour, eating, brushing my hair or teeth, while typing a paragraph where something terrible, or euphoric, or quietly illuminating is happening. This may sound naïve, but I feel strongly that I must be honest ; I must be writing while I am talking about writing. Otherwise, I feel like a fraud. Even if it’s just an hour of work on novel number two in the morning because that’s all there’s time for, or even if I’ve been working on the same damn narrative arc problem in a short story for months, I know that I cannot stand in front of either my own mirror or even in front of you, dear asker of questions, and exhort you to “show, don’t tell” or “up the emotional stakes” or instruct you to “live your passion” if I am not myself at the writing desk, messing with words, living in the trenches and heights of which I speak.

That is how it feels to be a writer; nothing more, nothing less. It’s a full-time job, anything else distracts from it. I’ve had my share of work that has taken me away from writing, and it may not be all I do, but it’s my priority in life, and the secret to being a writer is to not stop writing and to show up for work.

4 comments:

  1. Linda,

    I have to disagree with you. A writer is always a writer, 24/7/365. When you are not actually putting words to the keyboard, you are observing, thinking, creating images in your head. Doctors aren't always healing. Dentists aren't always filling teeth. When you do something for a living, you are what you do, regardless of how many hours a day you do it. In my mind, it permeates the air around you. In fact, I would go so far to say that writers are writers round the clock, whereas most other professions leave their expertise at the door when they go home and pick it up again in the morning on their way to work.

    Think about it...
    Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written - felt it coming from my pen/keyboard!
    Satish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to be writer but I'm not sure I have the discipline to make myself write. It is so easy for me to side track my self. Watching UK sports news, going to the gym, replying to emails. reading the countless reports on the internet.
    I'm beginning to wonder if the internet is like listening to a group of guys discussing the Worlds problems with a few beers in the pub.
    Roberta we can all be writers but we can't all be good.
    I like the Colin Firth part in "Love Actually". He goes off to find seclusion, was it Portugal. I like the seclusion part. Leave life behind and fall into your own World.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since a small child, I have dreamt of cultivating the talent of putting words together to express a thought. You have done that in language so eloquently in your publication that it literally took my breath away. I am so thankful to be taking your class on creative writing. I am learning so much. Thank you.
    Diane Powell

    ReplyDelete